Monday, March 26, 2012

An easy way to create awesome looking Windows Phone7 icons using expression Design

I am always having problems when it comes to creating icons for my Wp7 apps. I am a coder and not a designer, so drawing something nice looking is really really out of my comfort zone.

Previously I spent hours trying to draw symbols myself, but I never really liked the outcome. But lately, I found a quick and effective way to create nice looking icons for my Windows Phone 7 apps. Here it goes:

The Noun project

First, I go to the nounproject website to find some nice looking symbols. This website has hundreeds of symbols and you can download them for free in vector format. The graphics comes with a Creative Commons license, so you’re free to do whatever you want with them. Sounds pretty neat, if you ask me!

Inline image 1

Once, you found the symbol you like, download and extract it. The symbol is in SVG format. I am using Expression Design for drawing my icons, but Design unfortunately does not support SVG yet. I need a tool that can convert SVG to something that I can import to Expression Design.

Inline image 2

Inkscape

With Inkscape I can do exactly this. Inkscape can import SVG and can export .PDF and .PDF can be imported to Expression Design. Inkscape is a very cool, free and open source drawing application. You can download it from here.

Read more: littlebigtomatoes
QR: Inline image 3

Posted via email from Jasper-Net