Monday, July 08, 2013

How to Install .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?

Inline image 2

   It was not as smooth as I thought while installing the Windows 8.1 as a fresh OS in my laptop. Though the OS and other major software installation was smooth, but I faced lots of issues while installing some software's that need .NET Framework 3.5.
 
Did lots of analysis, tried various methods to install the framework but all failed. At the end I got an perfect solution which resolved the problem. Thought to share in case you faced similar, will help you.
Issue

As I formatted my hard drive and installed Windows 8.1 Preview as a fresh operating system, my system was completely blank and I had to install all the other softwares one by one. This is really a hectic job but it should not be that much problematic if the Windows installation provided me the .NET Framework 3.5 by default.
 
Yes, I faced hell lot of issues installing .NET Framework in Windows 8.1 as it was needed by some software like Live Essential 2012. Though I was trying to install it from various package, it was asking me all the time to install .NET Framework 3.5. I was shocked when I saw the system asking me to Install .NET Framework 3.5 before installing .NET Framework 3.5. Did I mentioned anything wrong here? No, I wrote it correct. The system was asking me to install .NET Framework 3.5 before continuing the installation of .NET Framework 3.5.

...
...

To install the .NET Framework from the Windows installation media, open the "Command Prompt" in administrator mode and provide the following command:
 
DISM  /Online  /Enable-Feature  /FeatureName:NetFx3  /All  /LimitAccess  /Source:x:\sources\sxs

where:
  • /Online targets the operating system you're running (instead of an offline Windows image).
  • /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 specifies that you want to enable the .NET Framework 3.5.
  • /All enables all parent features of the .NET Framework 3.5.
  • /LimitAccess prevents DISM from contacting Windows Update.
  • /Source specifies the location of the files needed to restore the feature (in this example, the x:\sources\sxs directory).

QR: Inline image 1