Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Hositing Silverlight XAP in Blogger... Aah At last succeded.. Yipeee

When i first googled, i found this wonderful post of timheuer which explains about cross-domain hositing of silverlight application in detail.
The big question which i had after reading tim's blog post is, where do i host my xap file as i need to set the XAP mime type on the hosting server, I personally do not own any hosting space nor any domain.
In the next moment i started searching for free file hosting providers, which can provide me a direct link for hosted file with file extension so that i can refer to the xap file directly. I tried around 5 different file hosting servers but i couldn't figure out how to set the mime extension type on that perticular server to render my silverlight xap on my blogger blog.
In my 6th attempt to host xap, i have tried with xtreemhost file hosting which has not only provided me with a direct link to the hosted file but also provided access to the .htaccess file where i could add my MIME types.
So here are few things which we need to take care before hosting a silverlight application on to blog:
Make sure you have added the EnableHtmlAccess parameter to the object tag in html
<param name="enableHtmlAccess" value="true" />
Make sure you have set ExternalCallersFromCrossDomain to ScriptableOnly in the AppManifest.xml file in silverlight project
<Deployment xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/client/2007/deployment"
       xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
   ExternalCallersFromCrossDomain="ScriptableOnly">
   <Deployment.Parts>
   </Deployment.Parts>
</Deployment>

Read more: Dot + Net <=> Digging .Net